Today was the start of my first clinical rotation. I will be going out to Valley Physical Therapy every Wednesday for the next 4 weeks, although I am excited to finally be out in the clinic I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed to be going to not one but two out patient clinics. See I have been working in a out patient clinic for the past 4 years and on and off for the past 9 years. I was really hoping to get some more experience in other settings. But to my surprise today was GREAT! Now that I think about it, it may be that going somewhere I am comfortable for my first rotation is probably a blessing. I was able to jump right in today and not be the least bit afraid. The funny thing is the clinic I was assigned to is a place I have worked in the past. Although the therapist is different from when I was there (it was 7 years ago) everything else is still the same. My clinical instructor was great, allowing me to do many things I didn't think he would let me do on the first day. I was able to do massage, (which since I am a massage therapist I would hope they would feel comfortable with allowing me to do) joint mobilizations, along with some other modalities that I do on a regular basis. It was good to do some of these things since we have a check list of items we need to do before the rotation is over.
I am so excited to finally be at the point in my education that I am out in the clinics and getting my hands on real patients. Working on each other in the classroom is fine but for me to really learn it I need to feel it for real. The next few weeks are going to be exciting and probably at times a bit scary but I am really looking forward to learning as much as possible.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
First Clinical Rotation
Posted by Wendy at 8:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment