CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cyclocross Season Is Here



This weekend marks the first two cyclocross races of the short but fun season. Normally that would mean I would be very excited and yet a bit nervous. (Gotta love those pre-race nerves) This time however, I am really just nervous. See, I have been sick for a good portion of the last two weeks and now as the day creeps closer and closer I am yet to be at 100%. This week brought a nasty head cold that I just can't seem to shake. It started Sunday and has gotten progressively worse over the week. Today (Wednesday) was the first day I got on the bike since the weekend, the week before I got almost zero time in due to food poisoning. I was a bit afraid of getting on the bike today but in all truthfulness, I think I would have gone mad had I not got on the bike today. I told myself if I just went out really easy and listened to my body I would be fine. I told myself if you don't feel good in the first 15-20 minutes then just turn around, its not worth it. The first 15 minutes were a bit disheartening, sore throat and a bit of coughing. I thought, hmmm, 5 more minutes. I felt better by the 20 minute mark and kept going, easy. I was out for about 45 minutes and felt pretty good. I didn't do anything hard though in fear of making life miserable.
As I sit here tonight I feel pretty good, no worse than earlier so that has to be a good sign. I talked with my coach and told her of my doings, a bit hesitantly:) and she didn't seem to object so.... Normally this minor sickness would not be something I would blog about, or even really worry about, I would just not race this weekend and try again next weekend. This year though I really want to do well at cyclocross. It will be my second year and I would really like to win my category. Last year I won a race and came in second in the total rookie category. This year I will bump up to the 'women B' category and would like to win races as well as the season. So I feel like missing two races this weekend wouldn't really put me in a position to do that. Guess all I can do is go out and see how Saturday goes and then decide on what to do Sunday. Until then its drink as much water as possible and take those vitamins and keep my fingers crossed.

0 comments: