With the turning of the calendar we now find ourselves in December. One holiday of overeating down one to go. The calendar now tells me that racing is over for the year and the next few months. Next up, rest, recovery and enjoying some workouts that don't involve the bike. A few weeks ago while in the middle of the cross season I would have said no way I don't want to stop racing, now though I am ready. The strange thing though and I have to admit the messed up part is now that I am officially on my rest month I am feeling a bit guilty about not riding. WHAT THE HELL!!!!! Why is it that I want to so badly take some time off and not have the pressure of following a strict workout schedule I am feeling like such a slacker. I know I need the time off but have all these stupid thoughts rushing through my head like 'I need to ride tonight, other people are riding and getting stronger'. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.
When I received my December plan from my coach I looked over it and was pretty happy with what I saw. The first few weeks called for some of the normal plans that I have been doing followed by the much needed rest. My fall quarter is wrapping up and I will be having finals starting next week. So I called my coach in need of some clarification as well as guidance in my recent thoughts/feelings and overall how to approach this month. The great thing about my coach is that she is also my best friend. I know that I can talk to her honestly and openly and get a honest response. Most of all though I can almost guarantee that she is having the same feelings. After a long conversation she has once again put my mind at ease.

The words that she said that made me really come to terms with the battle in my head were 'ride if you want to ride, don't if you don't want to'. Resting really is just as important as the hard training that I put in. The harsh reality of it all is that next month the long base building miles begin again in order to be prepared for the road season in April.


The words that she said that made me really come to terms with the battle in my head were 'ride if you want to ride, don't if you don't want to'. Resting really is just as important as the hard training that I put in. The harsh reality of it all is that next month the long base building miles begin again in order to be prepared for the road season in April.

This was the harsh reminder of what is to come. Fortunately it was all gone by the next day. I welcome the snow in the mountains (that way I can go snowshoeing) but would rather it just stay there and not down here.
My plan for today-ride (maybe) run (don't think so) have a beer (that I can do). Here's to rest:)

0 comments:
Post a Comment