CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The End Of Cyclocross

The podium at Riverside Finals. Renee 1st, Liz 2nd, Me 3rd, Diana 4th and Noel 5th

The creative trophy for the overall points. 3rd was the smallest rock and 1st the largest. Seems to me someone needed to clear some rocks out of their yard:) Creative idea though and unlike any other trophy I have received.

This past weekend marked the final race in the Inland Northwest Cyclocross season. We were once again out at Riverside State Park. Two weeks prior we were out there for a race and I didn't fair so well so I was a bit unnerved about this one. After last weekends race I had done the math (as well as every other lady in my division) as to what it would take for me to take 3rd overall. Going into the weekend I was sitting in 4th 2 points out of 3rd. So basically I needed to win the race and the 3rd place gal to finish at least two places behind me.
The start of the race brought the typical pre-race nerves and all that goes along with it. The trips to the bathroom were put off though due to the horrible-and I do mean HORRIBLE stench of the bathrooms at the park. I honestly started to gag as I walked into the bathroom. So, that made me feel even more nervous.
From the gun I knew that like last year I would have to get a good start and either be in the lead or top two. We took off and Renee got the hole shot but I was right on her wheel. The start is a slight uphill for about 1/4 of a mile (which is not my strength) so I knew being on her wheel is right where I needed to be .Renee is very strong on the road so I knew if I could stay with her for the start I could probably pass her somewhere else on the course. I was able to do just that on the first off road section. Taking the lead I had to remind myself again to stay clam and not to make any mistakes. I wanted to get as big of a lead as I could through the technical stuff so that once we were back on the road I could have a decent lead. I knew that if I only had a few seconds on Renee and the rest of the gals I would surely loose it on the uphill road section. Going into the second time on the uphill I noticed I had a good lead so I just pushed on the pedals and put my head down. The next two laps I was able to peek back a few times and noticed that my lead had grown which was to my surprise! I knew going into the final lap I should be able to hold on to the lead. The last time up the run up I was able to again peek back and notice there was no one around me all I had to do was get back on the bike and finish it up!
I crossed the finish line and quickly turned around to see where everyone finished. Even if I won and Diana came in second I would still loose 3rd place. I watched Renee cross the finish line next and knew I had taken 3rd overall. It was a great way to finish the season and wouldn't have changed a thing. I missed one race in Walla Walla and was still able to finish top 3 so I am very excited. Overall I have seen the rewards of my hard work over the last year. I love cyclocross and riding but am now looking forward to some time off of the bike. I am excited to start some snowshoeing, weight lifting and other things instead of riding. I of course will be still riding but just not as much.
So here's to the off season!!!! Cheers!


1 comments:

Riverstone Women's Racing Team said...

Yeah, you pretty much kicke ass that morning! Nice work... now enjoy some time off!!