CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Feeling like all the hard work I've put in is paying off!


Tonight like every other Wednesday nite I went out on our Wednesday Nite Group ride, leaving from Vertical Earth and lead out by my coach Jenni Gaertner.
Last year this was a ride that I didn't always go to due to my own feeling of not being able to 'hang on to the group'. For the most part though I was there each and every week slowly showing improvement. This year I have been as much as my schedule will allow and I have been having much more success hanging with the group and even staying with the lead pack every once in awhile. The group that comes out to these rides is for the most part a pretty fast group of riders and is always a great workout and chance for me to improve by riding with strong cyclists.
Tonight was one of those nights that made me feel really good about my abilities on the bike. It started out like any other ride, easy at first then once we hit the hills, we split up into our usual two groups. I found myself happily in the middle, not in the lead group but not in the back group. It is a spot I have been in this summer on these rides. I am pretty happy with that though, even though it means that I spend most of the ride alone, it also means I am showing improvement. Last year I was the one bringing up the rear for sure! I felt good on the hills, great on the flats and overall very good.

On the way back was where I had the best time though. As we rolled up to a stop sign I found myself closer to the back pack then the front. I made up my mind right there I was going to go out and try to bridge up to the lead pack. I stood up on the pedals and gave it everything I had to catch the group ahead of me. I knew I had the energy and the legs to get up to them so I put my head down and battled the headwind that was trying its best to keep me from my goal. With my efforts I was getting closer and closer to them, once I got to within 20-30 yards from them they started pulling away, CRAP!!!! What the heck! I knew right away it was either Jenni or Isaac pulling the train into a sprint, I stood up on my shaky and somewhat toasty legs and gave it one more push. No luck though, they just kept getting further and further away, so I settled into a hard pace but one I knew I could maintain. I rode the remainder of the ride alone but happy with my efforts. Last year I would have never been able to do that. Would have wanted to but the legs would have said NO WAY.
So now I sit her on the couch, legs a bit tired and shaky but overall VERY happy with my efforts. Tonight I feel like I am reaching those goals I have set for myself and am improving. I have put in a lot of work but know I wouldn't be here without the help of my coach, support from my friends and great group rides like this one.

0 comments: